Antioxidant effect of cimenol ring
Concern about the accumulation of chemicals in feed also involves additives used to prevent oxidation of fats included in animal feed. For this, the antioxidant effect of the cimenol ring, active principle from plant extracts, has been evaluated.
Mechanism of action
Cimenol ring has an antioxidant effect: it prevents fat oxidation and maintains feed nutritional and organoleptic properties. Its mechanism of action consists in:
1. Cimenol ring is more reactive than nutrients in peroxidation process, so that it is oxidized in their place in presence of free radicals.
2. Neutralizes electrons released during peroxidation and prevents degradation.
Comparative with Vitamin E
Vitamin E is a fat-soluble nutrient present in feed that acts as a natural antioxidant, so that it is used as a pattern to compare the antioxidant activity of other molecules.
Aim of the trial
To compare the antioxidant capacity of the cimenol ring with vitamin E (natural antioxidant).
Spectrophotometry is conducted using DPPH as an indicator for oxidation. In a solution, DPPH is purple, but, when it interacts with an antioxidant, the unpaired electron is neutralized and the resulting molecules is colorless. Therefore, the lowest the absorbance measured in the spectrophotometer, the higher is the capacity to neutralize free radicals of the evaluated substance (higher antioxidant capacity).
- Prepare the solutions to be tested:
- 8 ml with the following concentrations of vitamin E: 0.05 g/ml, 0.005 g/ml, 5×10-4 g/ml, 5×10-5 g/ml, 5×10-6 g/ml.
- 8 ml with the following concentrations of cimenol: 0.05 g/ml, 0.005 g/ml, 5×10-4 g/ml, 5×10-5 g/ml, 5×10-6 g/ml.
- Design the calibration curve with DPPH (absorbance at 517 nm/DPPH concentration in mM)
Cimenol ring is more effective than vitamin E as an antioxidant: at a concentration of 5×10-4 g/ml (0.5 mg/l) is 41.52 times more effective than vitamin E at the same concentration.
Therefore, this compound can be used as an antioxidant in raw materials and balanced feed for feed at much lower doses than vitamin E.
Products with cimenol ring
Alquernat Oxyfree and Alquermold Natural, two products marketed by Biovet, S.A., contain cimenol ring at different concentrations. So, at a dose rate of 500 g of product per ton of feed: