Blogs / Technonews
Research of immunomodulators
For the adequate development of immunomodulators, phylogenetic must be taken into account in order to identify which target cells are important, in each animal species, and in this way determine with which substances their function is stimulated.
- The adequate vital development of all living beings is based on the balance of three functions: growth, reproduction and immunity.
- In wild animals, these functions are greatly influenced and adapted to the natural conditions that oscillate in annual cycles, especially due to the availability of water, food, light and temperature.
- Placing the animals on farms with controlled conditions (water, feed, luminosity and temperature) allowed the effort to be concentrated on genetically improving the ability to grow and reproduce.
- The result of the concentration of genes related to growth and reproduction has leaded to the weakening of the defensive function, increased number of diseases and economic losses.
- It is essential to know the defense mechanisms to be able to develop immunomodulators: substances that activate, stimulate, encourage and consequently increase the immunological response both at the cellular and humoral level.
- The immune response has been necessary since the first protozoa (calcium fixation and melanin production) but it has had to be complemented with new responses, to new challenges, arising from changes in their habitation during the colonization of new spaces (from the sea to the earth, from the earth to the air).
- Each new group of animals accumulates anatomical and physiological changes and new defense mechanisms that complement the previous ones from protozoa to birds and mammals.
- Thus, the phylogenetic of the immunological system has originated 5 defensive levels in the most evolved animals:
- Physicochemical barriers
- Specific cellular responses
- Nonspecific cellular responses
- Specific serological responses
- Nonspecific serological responses
- This incorporation of new defensive systems has caused general defense systems, in one stage, to be converted, in the next one, in local defense systems. This is the case of general immunity in crustaceans that is maintained, in birds and mammals, as a function of local general immunity of epithelium and mucous.
- For the adequate development of immunomodulators, phylogenetic must be taken into account in order to identify which target cells are important, in each animal species, and in this way determine with which substances their function is stimulated.
- ALQUERNAT IMMUPLUS and ALQUERNAT ZYCOX are two immunomodulators developed by Biovet S.A., taking into account the function of target cells of local general immunity defenses of mucosal and serological responses.
- For these reasons ALQUERNAT ZYCOX is used as a general immunomodulator in crustaceans and as an immunomodulator of the intestinal mucosa in mammals and birds, while ALQUERNAT IMMUPLUS is used as a general immunomodulator in fish, mammals and birds.